Building Digital UK (BDUK) 2023 – 2026 Corporate Plan published
BDUK has today published its Corporate Plan 2023 – 2026. You can access the plan via the link below:
BDUK is the executive agency within the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology responsible for delivering Project Gigabit, the government’s £5 billion mission to deliver lightning-fast, reliable broadband across the UK. BDUK is also responsible for delivering the Shared Rural Network, a £1 billion programme to improve 4G mobile coverage in rural and hard-to-reach parts of the country.
BDUK’s Corporate Plan sets out its key objectives, milestones and measures to:
- Deliver gigabit-capable connectivity to premises outside suppliers’ commercial rollout plans
- Improve mobile internet connectivity by delivering the Shared Rural Network
- Make BDUK a great place to work, inspiring and empowering people to perform at their best
- Provide excellent financial management, supported by strong governance and risk frameworks
- Develop practical digital solutions to solve delivery challenges and transform the use of data
BDUK has committed to delivering gigabit-capable broadband to more than 1.5 million premises in hard-to-reach parts of the UK by the end of 2025, and then go further to support the government’s target of nationwide gigabit-capable broadband by 2030. The Shared Rural Network aims to extend 4G coverage to 95% of UK landmass by the end of 2025, and further coverage improvements in more hard-to-reach areas will continue to be delivered until the start of 2027.
Through working in partnership with local councils, suppliers, other government departments and various other stakeholders across the industry, we have made an excellent start. Over 76% of UK premises are now able to access a gigabit-capable connection, up from just 6% in January 2019. 4G coverage is up to over 92%, and there has been a reduction in not spots across Wales and Scotland as the early impact of the Shared Rural Network has taken effect.
If you would like to find out more about BDUK, Project Gigabit and the Shared Rural Network please visit the following links:
Latest Project Gigabit quarterly progress report:
Shared Rural Network website: