Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme
UK Gigabit Voucher (UKGV)
The UK Gigabit Voucher Scheme (UKGV) is designed to provide funding towards the cost of installing fast, reliable broadband for residents and businesses in rural aeras that are not included in any commercial plans or the government's Project Gigabit procurements.
To find out if you are eligible for the UK Gigabit Voucher Scheme, please use the new postcode checker at https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/
How to Apply
- Check you live in an eligible area by going to the Gigabit Voucher webpage and using the postcode checker at https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/
- You need to apply as a group. Join up with other nearby residents and/or businesses and nominate a community lead.
- Find a registered supplier in your area by going to the government's webpage at https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/
- The supplier will provide you with a quote, make the application for the vouchers on your behalf and guide you through the process.
- Once your application has been received the Gigabit Voucher Scheme team will email you to make sure you want to go ahead. If your project costs more than £1,500 per residential property or £3,500 per SME you will have to pay the remaining money if you wish to continue.
- Your supplier starts building your community's new broadband network.
- Choose an internet service provider once the network has been built, and purchase a superfast broadband package to get connected and validate your voucher.
Funding terms and conditions
- Up to £4,500 is available per residential or business premises from BDUK
- The voucher is to support the cost of installing new gigabit-capable connections only
- You must commit to a 12-month contract with your supplier for download speeds of 30 Mbps or double your existing speed (whichever is higher) through a gigabit-capable connection
You can find the terms and conditions on the BDUK website: https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/
Gigabit-capable networks are future proof. They can deliver the connection speeds we need - not only today but far into the future. Getting ready for a gigabit speed with full fibre connections will support increasing demand for:
- Multiple internet connected devices
- Cloud storage
- Film, TV and music streaming
- Video calls
- Remote and flexible working
What if I have already applied for vouchers under the old Gigabit Voucher Scheme?
If you applied for the old Gigabit Voucher Scheme but did not receive or accept a quote from a supplier before 19th February, your application will not progress under the old scheme. However, suppliers may be able to transfer your application to this new voucher scheme, if you meet the new criteria. Please talk to your supplier about this.
If you have an application submitted or plan to submit an application, please continue with this, and your supplier will be able to advise you on how to proceed.