Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme
UK Gigabit Voucher (UKGV)
The UK Gigabit Voucher Scheme (UKGV) is designed to provide funding towards the cost of installing fast, reliable broadband for residents and businesses in rural Hampshire.
From 8th April 2021, eligible residents can apply for vouchers worth up to £1,500 per property; and businesses can apply for up to £3,500 per SME (small-to-medium sized business).
Residents and/or businesses must apply as a group of two or more premises (in any combination). The number of premises required for any particular project is determined by the supplier and assessed on a project-by-project basis.
When installed, the broadband will be delivered on gigabit-capable infrastructure which can support internet speeds of up to 1Gbps (the same as 1000Mbps) - otherwise known as ultrafast broadband.
Hampshire Top-Up Funding 2021/22
The Hampshire Top-Up to the government's UK Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme is designed to provide additional funding for residents in rural Hampshire so they can get access to fast, reliable broadband services.
The County Council allocated £1m of additional funding for the financial year 2021/22, as a result eligible residents can get vouchers worth up to £3,000 per property - double the value of the government’s standard Gigabit Broadband Voucher.
To qualify, residents must meet the criteria set by the UKGV Scheme (detailed below) and live in Hampshire.
The funding is available on a first come first serve basis and is allocated by the government's UKGV team as part of their standard process so there is no need to apply separately to Hampshire County Council.
The Top-Up is not available to businesses.
To find out if you are eligible for the UK Gigabit Voucher Scheme, please use the new postcode checker at https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/
This checks if your home or business is eligible for the voucher in terms of its location. In addition, applicants must:
- not have speeds of more than 100 Mbps available
- be “Rural” according to the Office for National Statistic (ONS) or equivalent:
- ONS definitions D1 – F2 (England & Wales)
- not be within an “Area 2 Postcode Sector” as determined by Ofcom’s Wholesale Fixed Telecoms Market Review 2021-26 (WFMTR)
- not be within an area that Openreach is building to as part of their RAB commitment to build premises in “Area 3” as determined by Ofcom
- not be part of a planned or ongoing government subsidy initiative or programme to deliver Gigabit Capable broadband, as determined by the Authority, including premises included as part of a Public Review.
How to Apply
- Check you live in an eligible area by going to the Gigabit Voucher webpage and using the postcode checker at https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/
- You need to apply as a group. Join up with other nearby residents and/or businesses and nominate a community lead.
- Find a registered supplier in your area by going to the government's webpage at https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/
- The supplier will provide you with a quote, make the application for the vouchers on your behalf and guide you through the process.
- Once your application has been received the Gigabit Voucher Scheme team will email you to make sure you want to go ahead. If your project costs more than £1,500 per residential property or £3,500 per SME you will have to pay the remaining money if you wish to continue.
- Your supplier starts building your community's new broadband network.
- Choose an internet service provider once the network has been built, and purchase a superfast broadband package to get connected and validate your voucher.
Funding terms and conditions
- Up to £1,500 is available per residential premises from DCMS with up to an additional £1,500 from HCC (all funding allocations are administered by DCMS); up to £3,500 for SMEs
- The voucher is to support the cost of installing new gigabit-capable connections only
- You must commit to a 12-month contract with your supplier for download speeds of 30 Mbps or double your existing speed (whichever is higher) through a gigabit-capable connection
You can find the terms and conditions at the website: https://gigabitvoucher.culture.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/UKGV-Beneficiary-Terms-and-Conditions-v0.9.pdf
Gigabit-capable networks are future proof. They can deliver the connection speeds we need - not only today but far into the future. Getting ready for a gigabit speed with full fibre connections will support increasing demand for:
- Multiple internet connected devices
- Cloud storage
- Film, TV and music streaming
- Video calls
- Remote and flexible working
What if I have already applied for vouchers under the old Gigabit Voucher Scheme?
If you applied for the old Gigabit Voucher Scheme but did not receive or accept a quote from a supplier before 19th February, your application will not progress under the old scheme. However, suppliers may be able to transfer your application to this new voucher scheme, if you meet the new criteria. Please talk to your supplier about this.
If you have an application submitted or plan to submit an application, please continue with this, and your supplier will be able to advise you on how to proceed.